Customer Energy Solutions
4815 Mueller Blvd.
Austin, TX 78723-3573
Saving energy and money go hand-in-hand. We can all contribute to reducing Austin’s energy demand by making simple lifestyle changes and energy-efficient home improvements. When demand decreases, we all save. Austin Energy is committed to helping our customers achieve the greatest savings possible.
Keep the sun’s heat out and let the light in. You can earn a rebate to install energy-efficient solar screens on your home’s windows.
How to Apply
Find a Contractor
Solar screens reduce solar heat gain, UV damage, and glare while still allowing for outdoor views and natural light in your home.
Windows are a large source of heat gain, which refers to the transfer of heat into your home by the sun. A home’s windows contribute to 25% - 30% of heating and cooling energy use. You can add solar screens to existing windows to save energy without replacing your windows.
Solar screens provide some of the following benefits:
- Block up to 70% of the sun’s heat
- Reduce damaging UV rays
- Dramatically reduce heat gain
- Reduce household temperature by 10-15 degrees during warmer months
- Lower cooling bills
- Increase daytime privacy
- Protect against fading of furniture, draperies, rugs, and carpets
The rebate incentive for residential solar screens is $1.00 per square foot for eligible solar screen fabric.
Eligible solar screen fabric must have a heat gain coefficient (SHGC) of 0.40 or lower.
- Your home must receive electric service from Austin Energy at a residential rate.
- Rebates are available for new construction and/or existing residential property.
- By default, the rebate payment is directed to the customer listed on the Austin Energy electric account.
- Builders of new construction are not eligible for rebate.
- Solar screen replacements are not eligible if they received a rebate through an Austin Energy rebate program less than 10 years prior.
- Only owners of single-family homes, condominiums, town homes, duplexes, triplexes, fourplexes, and rental properties are eligible.
- Your residence cannot be a mobile or manufactured home.
- Your participating contractor must submit your rebate application within 90 days of installation. Applications submitted beyond this time frame will not be approved.
- Participating contractors must comply with all program requirements and conduct business in an honest, professional, and ethical manner. All participating contractors must abide by the Austin Energy Code of Conduct and Ethical Requirements (pdf).
- All installations must reduce peak demand for electricity.
- Deteriorated solar screens may be replaced with new solar screens.
- Manufacturer product information with the rated solar heat gain coefficient (SHGC) and warranty statement must be attached/submitted.
- Solar screen fabric/material must have a heat gain coefficient (SHGC) 0.40 or lower to qualify.
- An aluminum frame with approved listed material is required:
- Frame component dimensions (depth/thickness, width and gauge): 3/8” x 3/4” and 0.020 gauge
- If window screen mounting will not accept 3/8” frame, use 5/16” x 3/4” with 0.020 gauge
- Center bar dimensions of 5/16” or 3/8” x 5/8” with 0.020 gauge
- All screen corners must be mitered and use metal, NO plastic corner braces.
- Screen material must be stretched squarely and tightly, so it deflects no more than ¼” when gently depressed.
- Must fit snugly and evenly in or on the window.
- Solar screens must be installed and mounted with correct hardware.
- Screens must have more than half an hour of direct sunlight on over half the window to qualify for rebates.
- All solar shading shall be installed according to all applicable building codes and manufacturer installation guidelines
- Austin Energy reserves the right to deny or adjust all rebate applications.
- Austin Energy reserves the right to perform an inspection of the installation.
Rebate Recipient Eligibility Requirements
- Property owners or electric account holders purchasing and installing the equipment are eligible to receive the rebates.
- By default, the rebate payment is directed to the customer listed on the Austin Energy electric account. The
rebate may also be directed to one of the below parties if all requirements are met.
- The property owner, to be verified using county tax records.
- A tenant at the property, when the property owner submits a signed Letter of Authorization (pdf) to issue the rebate to the tenant.
- A property manager, when the property owner submits a signed Letter of Authorization to issue the rebate to the property manager.
- Participating contractors are not eligible to receive solar screen rebates.
Find a Participating Contractor
You must use a participating contractor to install the equipment to qualify for this offering.
The participating contractor will apply for the rebate on your behalf through Austin Energy’s online rebate processing system. Your participating contractor will need the following information for your rebate application:
- Active Austin Energy Customer Account Number
Are You Waiting For a Rebate?
Use the confirmation (enrollment) and utility account numbers to check the status of your rebate application.
- Invoice that must include:
- Installation date
- Installation address
- Rebate recipient/applicant contact information (name, address, email address and/or phone number)
- A signed Letter of Authorization (pdf) (if applicable – see Eligibility for details)
Find a Participating Contractor
You must use a participating contractor to install the equipment to qualify for this offering. As with any service for your home, we recommend that you check references and get at least three different estimates from any of the companies listed on this page.
Participating contractors must comply with all program requirements and conduct business in an honest, professional, and ethical manner. All participating contractors must abide by the Austin Energy Code of Conduct and Ethical Requirements (pdf).
The selection of a Participating Contractor to perform work is the sole decision of the property owner and/or authorized lessee/occupant. Inclusion in this directory does not represent an endorsement by Austin Energy of any product, individual, or company. No work is guaranteed or warranty expressed or implied, and Austin Energy makes no guarantees as to the quality, cost, or effectiveness of the products provided and work performed by the contractor, employees, or subcontractors.
Funding is limited and available only to Austin Energy customers on a first-come, first-served basis. Offerings are subject to change without notice. Rebates are not guaranteed until after Austin Energy's review and approval of the rebate application. Program guidelines include additional requirements and limitations for receiving the above rebates. Contact us for more details.